[olug] SuSE 9.1/Using YOU more effectively

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Mon Aug 16 05:03:49 UTC 2004

YaST ( the thing that calls YOU ) is very powerful, you can add additional installation sources
to find the items you are looking for ( similar to adding an apt repos. to the apt config. )
the command line utility to install new package source locations is "installation_sources"
You can google around for repos for packages you want to run on suse, I remember finding a repo for
Myth - but I just did a google and did not find it as easily....

BTW - just as an FYI for those new to suse ; you can add an installation source  ( say an ftp repo ) and
install packages without worrying about dependencies very similar to apt/yum/emerge

example:

# remove All other installation points
rm -rf /var/adm/YaST/InstSrcManager/

# install an ftp install repository
installation_sources -e -a ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/9.1

# install a package and any depends ... or three
yast sw_single some-package-name some-other-package-name some-totally-unrelated-package

-OR-

just install apt ......

the only reason I hesitate to offer that as number one choice is that I tend to be a firm believer in
the "if it aint broke dont fix it" saying, e.g. updating your core os packaging with a non-vendor
supplied packaging tool can lead to mental health issues.