[olug] SuSE 9.1/Using YOU more effectively

Terence Bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Sun Aug 15 00:50:45 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I realize that a search of Google could probably clue me in, and believe me,
I've tried.  I just am not coming up with decent search strings to find what
I'm looking for.

Here's the scoop...

I was using Gentoo.  I got tired of the length of time required for compiles
for large updates (such as KDE) so I decided to switch.  The last update I
did of OpenOffice was the final straw... it took forever.

Somewhat at random, I chose SuSE 9.1.  I had used SuSE in the past... 6.3 was
the last version I used.

I have another machine using Fedora Yarrow with Apt installed on it.  I have
also used Apt on Redhat 9.

Now that that is all said, here is the real issue:

SuSE (as it stands right now) is somewhat neutered.  Many of the packages have
portions disabled for legal reasons.  Under Red Hat with apt, I would just do
an apt-get install whatever and under Gentoo, a quick emerge would accomplish
the same thing (after the compile that I was getting tired of).  Other
packages such as MythTV (I want to set up a remote front end) just done't
show up on the list of available packages in YOU (YAST Online Update).

I realize I can install apt to solve this, and I am considering doing so.

Before I do, however, I was wondering if YOU can be configured to do updates
in a less crippled and more complete manner... is there a list of alternate
servers that I can point to?

Thanks,
Terry Bradshaw