[olug] Physical limits of CD Rom

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Fri Aug 13 12:48:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:51:56PM -0500, Cale Lewis wrote:
> It's a good drive. I have been using laptop drives I got off eBay inseveral
> mod projects and the drives out of the IBM laptops have been consistantly
> good quality drives, although I can't say much for the care and treatment
> some of them have recieved in the past.
<snip>

Glad to hear someone else has had good luck with them :).  IBM portable hardware in genera, in my experience, is downright bulletproof.

OTOH, avoid Dell like the plague.  I've had two replacement DVD+RW's for my Inspiron 8600 (work laptop that replaced the ThinkPad) and I've only used it a handful of times.  Even though it's slower, has a non-widescreen panel, and not all the nice toys that the 8600 - I long to have my A30p back :).

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin