[olug] Re: BeOS in public domain & meetings

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Thu Aug 12 14:43:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:41:05AM -0500, Cale Lewis wrote:
<snip>
> Excuse my raving over it, but I do not think we need the market, public, or
> industry relying on any 1 or 2 systems too much, whether it's Windows, *nix,
> or anything else. Diversity creates a bad environment for the spread of worms
> and virus', and a system as easy to use as BeOS would be a boon to the
> general public for home use. It could work well with just about any other
> system out there, and would go a long way towards showing how much Bill Gates
> and his "Inovation" has actually held computing back and denied much to the
> world so he can fill his pockets and feed his ego.

I'm fully in agreement.  I don't think that any two specific platforms truly gives us choice.  The same with hardware.  Where are these Quantum Leaps in speed we should be seeing, running 2ghz + CPU's and gigabytes of RAM?

Really, I remember running Redhat 5.2 on a P150 with 96 MB of RAM and it was *fast*.  Or the K6-2 that I ran 6.2 on - a good friend of mine commented that it was the fastest he had ever seen X boot.

You touched on a subject I firmly believe in :).

> To other matters, didn't someone mention running the new Novell/SUSE release?
> I'm currently running SuSE 8.2 and am curious about how much it's improved.

I really love SuSE 9.1 - and I used to *hate* SuSE.  It's really pretty swank, and runs very nicely.

I actually just recieved an invite yesterday to participate in the Authorized Beta for Novell's new Open Enterprise Server.  I'm beyond excited to see what this is going to be like, and if I'm accepted into the beta I promise to provide details that the NDA allows me to ;).

For those who don't know, OES is Novell's new offering - basically the basics of NetWare atop a SuSE Enterprise kernel.  Very neat stuff.

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin