[olug] Re: BeOS in public domain & meetings

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Wed Aug 11 05:24:18 UTC 2004

> I've got a copy of BeOS 4.x Pro and 5.x Pro that are free to good
homes....
> lemme know if anyone wants one.  Given the state of non-existance of Be,
> and given how many years Be has been gone, the software might actually be
> in the public domain by now (ie: copy the disc as much as you want).  Oh,
> and might have a copy of the BeOS Bible that came with 4.x.
>
> Both systems scream and I thoroughly enjoyed using both.  Worlds ahead of
> Linux (perhaps even still), but still not quite up to MacOS or Win32 in
> reguards to UI usability.
>
> When you power down the system, add a new pci card, and bring the system
> back up... and it doesn't even tell you about it but instead just 'makes
it
> work'... Oh. Yes. hehe.
>
> -Will

Personally, I sugest someone take him up on the offer. Of all the systems
I've seen, this has been the one I truly "enjoyed" using. While Be Inc, and
the IP itself was bought by Palm, BeOS in effect is NOT dead. It is still
availible in a commercial (slightly controvesial) diotribution called Zeta
http://www.yellowtab.com/

It's also very much alive in the efforts of the OpenBeOS Project, recently
renamed Haiku OS   http://www.haiku-os.org/   It aims to be, and is so far
succeeding, in being source, and almost completely binary compatible with
BeOS r5.

Since BeOS was a very modular design, the 'kits' or servers and the rest of
the proprietary code are being replaced with Opensource code under a BSD
style license. The kernel is being replaced with a fork of the NeeOS kernel
  http://newos.sourceforge.net/intro.php   which was developed by a former
Be Inc. engineer along the lines of BeOS, with a few improvements along the
way. It also runs on x86 and PPC, which will allow 'active' BeOS(Haiku) use
and development on both platforms again (Be had started to let the PPC side
lanquish), plus the Hitachi SH-4 used in the Sega Dreamcast. There are also
plans for
# ARM dev board - TI OMAP based dev board
# Sun Blade 100 - UltraSPARC IIe in 64-bit mode
# NeXT B&W slab - Motorola 68040 based
# SGI Indy - MIPS R5000 based Indy in 32- and 64-bit mode
# DEC Multia - Alpha 21064

Now to interest the Linux faithful, you might want to check out the efforts
to use the Linux kernel as a base for the BeOS API
BeFree   http://befree.berlios.de/
BlueEyedOS   http://www.blueeyedos.com/
Cosmoe   http://www.cosmoe.com/   Cosmoe is a sort of cross-breed of BeOS
and AtheOS API's I believe, and mention has been made of possible
Carbon(MacOS) support.

> Can you give some examples as to how Be and Linux interact?  Maybe a demo
> at an upcoming meeting.
>
> Jon L.

I would love to, but as your meetings are on Tuesdays, and I work a 2-10:30
pm rotating schedule with never a tuesday off, I will have to forego the
pleasure of meeting any of you until a better oppourtunity comes along.
Please try the BeOS out though, I can provide versions based on the free
(as in beer) Personal Edition that Be Inc. released shortly before their
demise. You might be suprised at what M$ managed to roll under it's
wheels.......

for now!