[olug] Machine Locking up, need hardware guru advice

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Mon Aug 9 18:30:48 UTC 2004

Not sure how much this will help, but:

Put a bare-minimum linux distro on the system.  Make sure ssh is running
and that your firewall will let connections in.

Try some copy operations, or play an mp3.

When you run into a lock, try to ping or ssh into the box and check dmesg
or /var/log/messages for signs of problems.  When X locks up on me, I
typically ssh in from remote and shut the machine down properly to avoid
a possible Massive Filesystem Corruption (TM).

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/