[olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Aug 4 18:11:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 troehr at nj-onramp.com wrote:

> Date: Wed,  4 Aug 2004 11:54:56 -0500
> From: troehr at nj-onramp.com
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: Re: [olug] Jon Larsen,
>      Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)
>
> Port 631 is probably being tied up by whatever version of inetd that is running
> on the box.
>
> If you try:
>
> telnet localhost 631
>
> Telnet will try to attach to port 631 on the localhost. If it connects, then
> "something" is listening there.
>
> On my RH box, /etc/services has 631 assigned to ipp, the Internet Printing
> Protocol. If there are similar lines on the SUSE /etc/services, comment them or
> remove them, and recycle the *inetd service.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Tom

A telnet to the port did not produce any results.

Cups is IPP, that's why is runs on 631.  No need to remove the lines from
/etc/services.

More info: this is all localhost connect stuff, no remote printing.   The
printer is connected via /dev/lp0.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/