[SPAM: LOW] [olug] quiet PC - how to do this?

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Tue Apr 20 04:21:17 UTC 2004

IF temperature isn't a big issue, you could try slowing down your fans by
modifying the molex connectors and making the fans run at 7 volts (+12 -5)
or even five.  That'll make a huge difference in the noise.
If your fans plug into the motherboard you'll need to get a rheostat wired
inline between the fan and board.

I'm sure you can get more details on how to do it if you look around.

I had to do the opposite due to temp problems and run my fans at 17 volts.
 That burnt out two cheap ones within a month.  My Sunon fans have handled
it for close to two years now.
Someday I'll have a cool and quiet system, but for now I have to keep the
heat vent closed in that room during winter months.  :)

neal rauhauser <neal at lists.rauhauser.net>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
04/19/2004 04:53 PM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
[SPAM: LOW] [olug] quiet PC - how to do this?

   I have an Athlon 850, 60 gig HD, and a cd burner in an older Enlight
case. I've had this thing for years and I love it, but its just
waaaaayyyyyy too noisy to tolerate in a small office.

   If I wanted a low noise power supply and low noise processor fan is
there a place in town that carries this sort of stuff?