[olug] crazy RAM prices

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Apr 15 01:57:31 UTC 2004

Mat wrote:

> Team OLUG:
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on with RAM prices these days?
>
> About 20 months ago, I remember seeing PC133 sticks of 512MB RAM for less
> than $40.  Now you can't find them for less than $110.

Supply vs demand for PC133 vs DDR.  Rhetorical question: How many people
are buying PC133 vs the number of people buying DDR?

Add onto that for the upcoming introduction of DDR2 and cheap flash and
you have PC133 not being made very often.

IIRC EDO DRAM for Pentiums and the ever-so-finniky PPros went through a
similar pricing cycle when PC133 started coming out.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us