[olug] Senmail relaying

tmelcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Sat Apr 3 05:01:56 UTC 2004

On 02 Apr 2004 15:57:27 -0600, Ryan O'Rourke wrote
> Well, maybe I should explain myself more clearly. Looking back on my
> original message I see it's somewhat vague.
> I administer a Sendmail-8.12.8 box running RH9. Someone else administers
> an Exchange server (our main office email server), and a Lotus Domino
> server (mail for a different, internal, non-routeable domain).
>
> For most users their mail is handled like this:
> Mail to *@maindomain.com is handled by Exchange.
> Mail to *@otherdomain.com is relayed from Exchange to Domino and is
> delivered.
>
> However, Linux desktop users prefer to use sendmail for SMTP and
> therefore haven't been able to send mail to otherdomain.com
>
> I need to get Sendmail set up so it will just dump email addressed to
> otherdomain.com directly to Domino.
>
> I tried what you suggested below by adding an MX record for
> otherdomain.com to /var/named/db.maindomain.com. The MX records now look
> like so:
> 	MX 10 exchange.maindomain.com.
> 	otherdomain.com MX 10 domino.maindomain.com.
Is this name server Internal???

If so create a new db.otherdomain.com file, the outside world doesnt care if
this domain doesnt exist in reality.
Your new file should look almost identical to your db.maindomain.com file
except for the different domain name, and you dont need all the extra A and MX
records in there

add  MX:
                 MX 10 domino.otherdomain.com.

Also add an Address (A) record and point to the real IP of domino

domino         IN        A       192.168.1.2   (you might have a TTL in here too)

> I also created the file /etc/mail/relay-domains:
> 	.otherdomain.com         RELAY

This should just be otherdomain.com

HTH
Trent