[olug] Senmail relaying

Terry td3201 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 22:09:40 UTC 2004

--- Ryan O'Rourke <ryano at ch-gifts.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 13:56, Terry wrote:
> > /etc/mail/mailertable:
> > .somedomain.com smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com] #
> This
> > one ignores MX lookups (as it should probably)
> > .somedomain.com smtp:mail.someotherdomain.com #
> This
> > one uses MX lookups
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Unfortunately this
> didn't work for me.
> Could be I've got more complex issues... (see my
> response to Trent M.)
>
> -- Ryan

Sorry, sent out an email prior to your response...but,
I guess I don't see how mailertable wouldn't work in
your situation...you are simply routing a domain to
another host...which is exacly what mailertable does.
The only thing that seems questionable about my
solution is that it is an internal domain and its
non-routable...however, you are still probably using
DNS for this 'internal' domain, so you can assign an
MX to it if your mail server uses the authoritative
nameserver for that domain to resolve DNS queries.

What about:
.somedomain.com	relay:mail.someotherdomain.com

Also, this may seem obvious but:

1) you should not have an entry in the local domains
list for any routed domains.
2) you should have a dns mx record pointing to your
system for any domains that it is a gateway for.
3) you should also have an entry in the relay domains
list for each domain as well.

=====
Terry