[olug] Senmail relaying

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Apr 2 21:57:27 UTC 2004

Well, maybe I should explain myself more clearly. Looking back on my
original message I see it's somewhat vague.
I administer a Sendmail-8.12.8 box running RH9. Someone else administers
an Exchange server (our main office email server), and a Lotus Domino
server (mail for a different, internal, non-routeable domain).

For most users their mail is handled like this:
Mail to *@maindomain.com is handled by Exchange.
Mail to *@otherdomain.com is relayed from Exchange to Domino and is
delivered.

However, Linux desktop users prefer to use sendmail for SMTP and
therefore haven't been able to send mail to otherdomain.com

I need to get Sendmail set up so it will just dump email addressed to
otherdomain.com directly to Domino.

I tried what you suggested below by adding an MX record for
otherdomain.com to /var/named/db.maindomain.com. The MX records now look
like so:
	MX 10 exchange.maindomain.com.
	otherdomain.com MX 10 domino.maindomain.com.

I also created the file /etc/mail/relay-domains:
	.otherdomain.com         RELAY

Finally I restarted Sendmail and tested. The delivery of a message from
mydesktop.maindomain.com to someone at otherdomain.com failed.

hrmmm... I'm sure someone's got something completely fubar here so any
suggestions would help!
Thanks again.

-- Ryan