[olug] distro recomendation

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Fri Apr 2 13:53:16 UTC 2004

CM Miller wrote:

>--- Charles Bird <thebirdman at operamail.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a 75Mhz PB with 131MB RAM, cheap sound card,
>>and was wondering if any of u ppl know if it can
>>play mp3s or not, and I was also wondering if anyone
>>has a distro in mind that would work with it, I
>>desire to have a very basic desktop and able to play
>>mp3s. thats about it.
>>Thx
>>--
>>

>Any distro should work, don't use X and keep your
>install minimal.

Minimal install will help on the drive space end.  What do you have,
about 500 MB?  Or maybe you've upgraded it.  But X is certainly possible
on this system, especially with the RAM you've got.  I've used it on
lesser boxen.  The trick is to use light WMs.  My experience is with
Blackbox and iceWM, both of which are fine.  So if you can find a distro
that doesn't want to install everything including the kitchen sink, like
most seem to, you'll be OK.  I like the BSDs on low-end machines for
this reason.  The standard base install is less than 100 MB, no cruft or
clutter, leaving you to install just the apps you want.  I do question
whether 75MHz is fast enough to decode MP3's, but that's not really an
area I know much about.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea