[olug] SSH on an NT 4 box with Nutcracker

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Apr 2 03:10:02 UTC 2004

Thom Harrison said:
> Can the NT box be physically moved into close proximity of the Sun
> boxes?  If so, I might turn out to be quicker to simply through a
> crossover cable between the two and transfer the data any way you want (
> ftp, sftp, scp etc... )
>
> I believe that the ftp transfer would be quicker than sftp.

I agree on the speed item.  Could you use WinZip to compress and encrypt
the database files on the NT system, then transfter them via FTP, and
decrypt them using the GNU unzip utility (don't know if GNU supports
decrypt though...).

In my experiences, speeds using scp vs ftp are a factor of ten to 100
faster (with FTP being the winner).

What is your downtime window?  Can you dump to CDR/DVD and restore on the
Solaris system?

Dan