[olug] RE: Gentoo vs Red Hat (was Red Hat network and update removal)

Tim Bornholtz tim at prioritytech.com
Fri Sep 26 13:05:43 UTC 2003

Terry Bradshaw wrote:

>I just started setting up Gentoo this week (from Red Hat 9).
>
>Evolve is really slick.  I'm still not sure if I have the best compile
>options set yet, but I figure it can be recompiled later.  I'm mostly
>working on getting all my .conf files merged from updates right now.
>I'm not real confident on that yet.
>
>Terry

I completely screwed up my /etc directory the first time I ran
etc-update.  Be a bit careful.  One of the things that I found on the
gentoo forums was to switch plain old diff with a graphical one.

Modify your /etc/etc-update.conf like this (the first line is the
default and the second line is what I'm using):

#pager="less"
pager=""

#diff_command="diff -uN %file1 %file2"
diff_command="gtkdiff %file1 %file2"

#merge_command="sdiff -s -o %merged %orig %new"
merge_command="gtkdiff -o %merged %orig %new"

Of course, you'll have to emerge gtkdiff for this to work :-)

Good luck and welgome to Gentoo!

Tim