[olug] Server

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Sep 29 22:51:10 UTC 2003

> Would anyone recommend Knoppix vs. Red Hat on a server?  Maybe the
> question would be what Linux OS would work best on a new server for
> someone with a comfort level of 4 out of 10??

Knoppix for a server?  It seems to be more end-user oriented to me.  It
wouldn't hurt to try it.

Red Hat?  Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole unless you want to get RH
Enterprise Linux or suffer through an upgrade every 7-9 months due to the
rediculously short support lifetimes.

If you're already familiar with RH I say go with SuSE.  I know I'll
be using it as an RH replacement (I'd use Debian if it weren't for
the fact that people familiar with RH and not Debian would also be
admining the things) come December.

Neal, the Great Hairless FreeBSD Advocate, already has his word in (which
is undoubtedly "Use FreeBSD") ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us