[olug] Re: mad props!!

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Sep 29 20:31:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:04:49 -0500
Brandon Lederer <brandon at tolkien-movies.com> wrote:

|I dont necessarily consider that "mangled".  If I were writing a
|harvesting script it would look for the std name at domain.com
|
|and name at domain dot com, switch at to @ and dot to ., stip whitespace,
|and there ya go.... about 2 or 3 lines in perl.
|
|however I do appreciate the effort.

criticze and complain, then appreciate the effort?
Brandon... =(
"beggars can't be choosers" ? is that it?  =)

Not only is the email tag changed, i.e. "jlh at cox.net" but also the
mailto value is changed to
"mailto:olug%40olug.org?Subject=%5Bolug%5D%20%2ABSDs%20-%20Free%2C%20Open
%2C%20Net&In-Reply-To=" (just easier to copy "link location" and paste)
which is what most email harvesters go after in my opinion, therefore the
"olug at olug.org" spam is never going to really get set to you (unless
spammers join our mailing list).

Though of course, having "any" human readable but "mangled" email address
there could just as easily be "unmagled" by scripts looking for all
combinations of common mangling techniques.  But I think we _do_ want to
be able to read the email addresses, and reply back in person -- like some
outsider coming across the list archives and wanting to reply to an
individual person.

It's a great addition, maybe it could be better, but I think the correct
words are "Thank You <whoever... Brian? Dan?>"

peace, cheers

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru