[olug] which digital certificate authority?

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Sep 29 13:11:10 UTC 2003

    I see that Thawte and Verislime are the most recognized sources of
digital certificates but they're quite expensive - on the order of
$400/year.

    instantssl.com has a variety of similar products and they're much
cheaper - it appears that the $49/year product will do what I want. My
aim is to provide an SSL encrypted web service and possibly secure POP3
via SSL.

   I don't so much need the credibility of Thawte/Verisign, since this
is  basically just an enterprise's email server, I'm more interested in
the customer paying $49 for a certificate rather than paying for a day
of my time to decode how to set up a CA.

  I welcome any comments on secure http, secure pop3, digital
certificates, or how cultivating facial hair could improve my unix skills.