[olug] *BSDs - Free, Open, Net

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Sep 28 14:54:12 UTC 2003

   I've operated FreeBSD nameservers from 4.0 through 4.9 using both
bind8 and bind9. I've never had an intrusion and in general they're
bullet proof.

   I had an OBSD box that started out as 2.7, got upgraded via cvs to
2.8, and I said "screw this" after all the hassles. I've now got an OBSD
3.3 box and 3.4 is about to arrive. The Absolute OpenBSD book has done a
great deal to raise my confidence level on handling OBSD, but I'm mostly
interested in it for use on http://www.soekris.com single board
computers, so the 3.3 box on my desk is more a kernel construction
system than a production system on the net.

   I've loaded NetBSD 1.6 one time and played a bit, but I don't have
enough knowledge about it to have an opinion.

   You'll pull out less of your hair if you go with FreeBSD.