[olug] info req: texas microsystems p6000fx

William Langford unfie at cox.net
Sun Sep 28 05:13:56 UTC 2003

'lo!

I've got an interesting little SBC here... it's got both ISA & PCI
connectors on it and appears to be a Texas Microsystems P6000FX.

Obviously it's intended to go into a specific backplane, but I was
curious if it would be possible to, say, plug this thing into a std PC
ISA slot (hoping that it provides enough voltage to power the card) ...
boot it off, say, a floppy and have linux do a serial console ?

I don't particularly see a whole lot of options for using the card, I
believe that it 'listens' on a given port within the ISA range, but
communications would be a chore most likely.. .making it useless to
attempt to talk to the card via the ISA bus.

The card has 2 serial ports and 2 USB ports as well as an LPT port -- I
could see perhaps setting up a network serial link (is there such a
thing for USB such as a 'cross over' ?) ... but having another system to
chew on even over a serial/laplink connection isn't terribly exciting...

Any thoughts ?

-Will