[olug] back2: chris's/brian's problem - wifi knoppix 3.2

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 18:39:52 UTC 2003

See my comments...

--- Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:

> I think knoppix tries to do a lot of auto
> configuration as well, like
> there's automount and hotplug services... (don't
> know these all that well)

Where can I read up on autodetect/hotplug services for
Knoppix?  Is there a service that controls this?

I want to understand what is going on here, since I am
so used to mount/umount.

> I was having a similiar problem, you have to make
> sure the module is
> loaded.. and after that I guess it's must "magic"
> and it works/is there.

Magic.  Magic?  Magic?!!?

Maybe Tinkerbell will fly along and spray my laptop
with her magic pixie dust and fix the wireless and
setserial problem.

> |A guy that I work with has Knoppix on his laptop as
> |well.  He uses a Linksys card.  If he has his
> wireless
> |pcmcia card, lan connected, and typing iwconfig, he
> |gets output for lo, eth0, and eth1.
>
> now thats just weird, it should say "no wireless
> extensions found" or
> something like that for the non wifi interfaces.

Ya, you got me on that one as well.

> |I've also booted from Knoppix 3.3, but no dice
> there
> |either.
>
> wow, Knoppix 3.3 is out... gotta check that out now.
> =)

Nothing special about it other than a newer kernel,
and some changes to some icons. If your apt-getting
your packages, there is no bother, but I booted off of
the disk to see if it would detect my pcmcia card.  It
didn't.

-Chris

=====
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and UNIX.

I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

-Unknown