[olug] back2: chris's/brian's problem - wifi knoppix 3.2

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Sep 27 16:05:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|I'm wanting to understand, again, when inserting card
|I get this
|
|cs cb_alloc(bus 2):  vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013
|PCI:  Enabled device 02:00 (0000 -> 0002)
|
|I though all devices had to be mounted/umounted under
|Linux?  Why is it autodetecting?

for pcmcia stuff, I think a lot of that works automatically, it just reads
that a new device is there.  like when you plug in a usb flash drive, it
gets detected, but yes you must 'mount' the drive to write to it.

I think knoppix tries to do a lot of auto configuration as well, like
there's automount and hotplug services... (don't know these all that well)

|>To do this,
|> you just treat it as any other network interface...
|>
|> ifconfig eth1 { down | up }
|>

|I have eth0, which is the onboard nic, but there is no
|eth1, for the wireless card.  Or I'm not seeing it.

I was having a similiar problem, you have to make sure the module is
loaded.. and after that I guess it's must "magic" and it works/is there.

For my situation...
I had to as root "rmmod" a few modules in a dependency order, and then
"modprobe orinoco_cs" for my wifi and it was working again.  For my wired
nic, I couldn't just "modprobe 3c59x" I don't believe, I actually had to
cd /usr/lib/modules/kernel-2.4.21-xfs/... the module directory, and then
"modprobe 3c59x" and I think it worked (this was all 1am lastnight, a
little fuzzy).  So, now my "eth1" shows up (if I do, "ifconfig eth1 up"),
but I still can't get it to ping another host with my IPs/netmask all
setup properly.

|> well, I've had my wireless card detected as eth0
|> sometimes (now) and eth1
|> at other times.
|
|Why is that?  Why would it switch from eth0 to eth1?

I honestly don't know, when I've booted knoppix CDs, sometimes the detect
the NICs in a different order.  They're both built in, so I don't know
whats happening.

|A guy that I work with has Knoppix on his laptop as
|well.  He uses a Linksys card.  If he has his wireless
|pcmcia card, lan connected, and typing iwconfig, he
|gets output for lo, eth0, and eth1.

now thats just weird, it should say "no wireless extensions found" or
something like that for the non wifi interfaces.

|I've also booted from Knoppix 3.3, but no dice there
|either.

wow, Knoppix 3.3 is out... gotta check that out now. =)

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru