nother problem.. Re: [olug] Config Wireless Card under Knoppix?

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 14:33:40 UTC 2003

--- Jeff Hinrichs <jlh at cox.net> wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a Proxim orinoco card.
> Anyone use Proxim?
> comments?

I'm trying to configure a Orinoco/Proxim 11 b/g gold
card.

The card was highly recommeneded, works great under
Winjunk, very powerful picking up APs, and I did my
research and found that the card works under Linux:

http://www.knoppix.net/s.php?q=wireless

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1357#6974

What two things does a person need to keep in mind
when buying a wireless card for linux?

Drivers?

Chipset?

Could someone give more info on what is a chipset?
What does it do?

Also, Mat Caughron and I were hanging out at his place
and he picked up some generic wireless card for like
$20.00 off of tigerdirect,
http://www.tigerdirect.com/.  Slapped in the card, and
off you go.

thanks

-Chris

=====
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and UNIX.

I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

-Unknown