nother problem.. Re: [olug] Config Wireless Card under Knoppix?

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 13:41:07 UTC 2003

See my comments below...I'm suprised that there wasn't
more feedback from other Linux wireless users.  Aren't
others trying to get their wireless cards to work
under Linux?

--- Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:
> What exactly is your problem Chris, trying to bring
> your network card "up"
> or "down" (I take it thats what you mean by
> mount/umount?)

My problem exactly is trying to get my wireless card
to work.  I even downloaded the madwifi drivers but
got a ton of erorrs when doing make config.

I'm wanting to understand, again, when inserting card
I get this

cs cb_alloc(bus 2):  vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013
PCI:  Enabled device 02:00 (0000 -> 0002)

I though all devices had to be mounted/umounted under
Linux?  Why is it autodetecting?

>To do this,
> you just treat it as any other network interface...
>
> ifconfig eth1 { down | up }

I have eth0, which is the onboard nic, but there is no
eth1, for the wireless card.  Or I'm not seeing it.

> The config's the same in "/etc/network/interfaces"
> as regular debian.
>
> As for eth0 vs. eth1, on my dell inspiron laptop
> with knoppix 3.2 on it as
> well, I've had my wireless card detected as eth0
> sometimes (now) and eth1
> at other times.

Why is that?  Why would it switch from eth0 to eth1?

A guy that I work with has Knoppix on his laptop as
well.  He uses a Linksys card.  If he has his wireless
pcmcia card, lan connected, and typing iwconfig, he
gets output for lo, eth0, and eth1.

I've also booted from Knoppix 3.3, but no dice there
either.

-Chris

=====
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and UNIX.

I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

-Unknown