[olug] RE: Gentoo vs Red Hat (was Red Hat network and update removal)

Terence bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Fri Sep 26 15:17:50 UTC 2003

> I completely screwed up my /etc directory the first time I ran
> etc-update.  Be a bit careful.  One of the things that I found on the
> gentoo forums was to switch plain old diff with a graphical one.
<snip>

> Tim

Thanks for the info, and I will give this a try this weekend.

This is actually my third install attempt.  First time, I used ext3 for
the BOOT partition, and with the journaling, it became too small to
contain the contents of the stage tarball.  I repartitioned and expanded
the boot partition, but after the second install went pretty well, I got
careless with configuration file merging.  I told it to auto-merge all.
Bad.

This is try #3.  So far things are going well.  I did do one thing that I
may regret... one of the emerge scripts did not set permissions properly
and stored the binaries in a weird new subdirectory under /usr.  I
recursively chmod'ed 755 to fix it, but I'm now thinking I probably should
have been more selective.  All of /usr is now set to 755... I haven't seen
problems yet, but I won't be surprised if this comes back to haunt me.

Terry