[olug] RE: Gentoo vs Red Hat (was Red Hat network and update removal)

Tim Bornholtz tim at bornholtz.com
Thu Sep 25 18:12:02 UTC 2003

Brandon Lederer wrote:

>I really dont care for any distros on the right.  The one thing that Gentoo
>DOESNT have that does kind of bother me is there are no rc.0 - rc.6
>directories.  im not even too sure exactly where all the stuff is stored.

Here's a document that describes the various run levels in Gentoo:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rc-scripts.xml

I'd have to agree that there is a huge learning curve with Gentoo.
However, I happened to have a few really good people that I sit by that
I can ask the "dumb" questions.  I also had a few spare PCs lying around
to do my "real work" until the transformation to Gentoo was complete.

-Tim