[olug] Confused

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Sun Sep 21 14:57:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:41:06AM -0700, CM Miller wrote:

> --- Tom <huber28 at cox.net> wrote:
> > I thought I installed the gtk package.
> > I tried to install the program again that required
> > it and it said it was not
> > there.
> > I did the rpm -i and it said it was there
> > I did the rpm -V to verify it and it said it was not
> > there
> > I did the rpm -e to remove it and it said it was not
> > there
> > so I tried the -i again and it said it was already
> > installed.
> > What am I doing wrong ??
> >

> What distro are you using, RH?
>
> If so, use apt-get for RH to manage those packages.
>
> Much easier to manage, and easier on your blood
> pressure.
>
> http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/
>
> -Chris

This is a bit extreme for a small package problem Chris.....

Tom - does a rpm -q "packagename" show anything? "packagename" is not the filename of the rpm,
but the package itself ; e.g. "rpm -q gtk" - even better how does this command look:

rpm -qa | grep -i gtk

That should give us some clues where the problem is, btw - what is the app you are trying to install that
requires gtk?