[olug] Gaming server for LAN party - suggestions?

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Sat Sep 13 03:13:05 UTC 2003

Don't forget Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory!

There's a Linux port (client and server) and it's free.

http://planetwolfenstein.com/enemyterritory/

"Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was originally planned as an add-on for
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but soon became it's own game, a separate
entity with full single player, multiplayer, AI opponents and teammates!
Well that didn't happen and what we got, while less than planned, is
amazing...and FREE! Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a free, stand-alone
multiplayer only product, which means it's for online play only, but all
you need is what you download. You do not need anything else to play
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, than what you download for free. No Return
to Castle Wolfenstein, no additional file packages or monthly charges,
just one phat lump of action, and did I mention it was free? (Sorry but
people still can't believe it).
So you're going to need the download, and we've got that for you in the
available flavours, Windows and Linux."

There are native Linux servers for
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament Tactical Ops,
Half-life/Counterstrike, UT 2003, Savage, QuakeIII etc....

There are native clients for
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament Tactical Ops, UT2003, QuakeIII

I have the servers running for
QuakeIII, Counterstrike, UT2003, UT

You could bring the server box to the store and copy off the
servers/scripts if you'd like......

> I am helping with the LAN party (http://www.micsfragfest.com/) out at
the base lake on October 4th. A good group of people, with some good
gaming to be had.

> I wanted to set up a UT (Unreal Tournament) server for the party, using
a dual P2 450 and Mandrake. Before I beat myself to death I figured I
would pose to the group if you had any suggestions or helpful hints.
This is my first time setting up something like this, so I am

> I only have the PC version of UT, so I guess I would use WINE to run the
server?

> Or, is there a better game I should be setting up a server for?
>
> Let those suggestions flow people! =)
>
> Oh, and if you want to help show your Linux pride & come down for some
good gaming with you Linux box I would appreciate the support. =)

--
Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User