[olug] Fw: OLUG.PHPCONSULTING.COM

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Thu Sep 18 15:11:52 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:53:25AM -0500, Brian Wiese wrote:
> Here's an example of the spam problem I'm refering to with archiving
> mailing lists.  I don't mind Mat hosting an archive of the mailing lists
> publically (as we have done, and most mailing lists naturally do -- I
> think it should serve as a resource to others), but I would certainly
> prefer some mangling of the email addresses if possible. =)  I've received
> many more similar to this related more directly to our OLUG archives
> though, and of course many from the other mailing lists I am subscribed to
> and have posted from.

For spam, one word -- SpamAssassin.

Now I'll through my hat into the ring:

Mailman supports mangling of email addresses in archive.  Olug uses
Mailman.  So why doesn't the Olug list use that functionality?  IMHO, the
idea of having a password-protected list is when the list is a private
list.  Olug isn't private -- anyone can join.

Another point -- I have three different passwords for OLUG:
  o www.olug.org
	o users.olug.org
	o Olug mailing list.

That seems excessive to me.  I know that security is important, but so is
ease of use for users.   I mean, I have more passwords to remember for
OLUG than I do for work!

Just my $0.02 . . .

-- mikeh