[olug] ssh vulnerability anounced today.

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Wed Sep 17 04:59:18 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Brutsche" <phil at brutsche.us>
To: "Omaha Linux User Group" <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [olug] ssh vulnerability anounced today.

> Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> > Even the VP of the company is starting to take real notice of the
> > amount of time we are devoting to just the patching element of our
> > security responsibilities.
>
> I know this doesn't help the Office and Great Plains vulnerabilities,
> but setting up the Software Update Server package from Microsoft makes a
> BIG difference.
>
> Tell it to automatically install updates that *you* approve of and all
> your users need to do is reboot.
>
> Unfortunately, Win2k/Win2k3 and ActiveDirectory are prerequisites.
If I could find some accounting software that runs on *nix that fit our
needs, I'd rip the whole frelling thing out and replace it.  Maybe someday
I'll hit the lottery and take care of that, working title, Boring Open
Source Software.  You know, like mid level accounting and manufacturing
apps.  I'd model it after MySQL and Berkley. Open with the paid support
options for the timid CFO.<g>  I have my hopes, everything I do now days is
multiplatform if not specifically targeted to *nix.  I deploy apps via
weblications, python everywhere for apps that have to run from the desktop.
Accounting packages will be the last mile for desktop *nix.  OO and now with
the fancy ABIword 2.0 the basic end user apps are only 18 - 24 months out.
Gnome and KDE are on the cusp. It's all getting tantalizingly close.....

wistfully yours,
Jeff

---