[olug] CVS

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Fri Sep 12 22:43:05 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "William E. Kempf" <wekempf at cox.net>
To: <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [olug] CVS

> Then again, Subversion isn't 1.0 yet (despite it's stability and use by
> many in production environments), so maybe there'd still be some interest
> in CVS...
My Shop and I personally use svn for production work.  I've been using it
since 0.14.x, about a year ago.  It's much simpler to set up than CVS in
client/server mode and also has a client only file:// mode where no server
component is needed.  If you were going to set it up in client/server mode I
recommend a dedicated box since it requires Apache2 and is frequently
updated.  If anyone is interested I'd suggest monitoring the svn mailing
list to get a feel for it.  I never used cvs as my company was using V$$
until I migrated us to svn. http://subversion.tigris.org/ , or Subversion:
The Definitive Guide, http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/

I agree that it won't hit 1.0 by the end of the year, but definite progress
is being made and it is quite usable/dependable in it's current form.

-Jeff

---