[olug] rpm Howto

Kenton Brede xyf at nixnotes.org
Fri Sep 12 02:58:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 07:16:36PM -0500, nate wrote:
> I am looking at a HOWTO
> [http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/howtos/mdk-rpm/preliminary.html]
> which is preliminary tasks.  I have tried to follow the directory building
> task mentioned in the [ 3.1. Create required folders. ] instruction.
> When I type  ~/rpm/BUILD I get the prompt again so it must have made a
> folder/directory somewhere but I cannot find it looking in the home directory
> which I'm in when I execute the command?  What can you tell me about this and
> also what is the  ~  before the /rpm/BUILD   .

The "~" (tilde) denotes your home directory.  If you have a user on your
system called "nate" with a home directory /home/nate, and you were logged
in as "nate" then -

$ mkdir -p ~/rpm/BUILD

should place the directory /rpm/BUILD in /home/nate so you would end up
with /home/nate/rpm/BUILD

A couple ways of looking for files/directories:

First, to look for a directory or file you have just created and can't
find, run as root -
# updatedb

then -
$ locate BUILD

Alternatively you could use "find."  For example -
$ find /home -type d -name BUILD
would search /home, finding any directory named "BUILD"

Check the man pages for more info on how to use these commands.
hth,
kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso