[olug] Clean Upgrade using RPMS?

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.net
Thu Sep 11 21:45:31 UTC 2003

Kenton Brede [mailto:xyf at nixnotes.org]
> I might be missing something here but -
>
> You might be helpful to look at using "kickstart."
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/KickStart-HOWTO.html

I'll look into that...

> $ rpm -qa
>
> will also give you a list of the packages currently installed
> on your system.  If you didn't know. Kent

Yeah, but I want my script to take the old systems list (ex: httpd-2.0,
php-4.0, etc) and look at what is currently on the new system (ex:
httpd-2.2, missing php-X) and show me a list of what is missing so I can
install those to get the system back to what the old system was.  Then I
can extract the modified config files that were backed up from the old
system and merge those changes into the new system...

I don't know all the options that the RPM database provides, but there
might be some options here...

Dan