[olug] Clean Upgrade using RPMS?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Sep 11 20:33:37 UTC 2003

At Thu, 11 Sep 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Eric Penne, said:
> That is a damn good idea!

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many times it's saved my butt. ;-)

Back years ago, when a friend of mine first introduced me to CVS, he
showed me how he used it to keep a handful of config files in it, as
well as source code.  From that, it was a very small jump to just
keeping all of /etc in CVS.

And after doing it for a short while, I don't think I could ever stand
to go back.  It's just too useful.  There are numerous times when I
would have something break due to a config change[1], and it's so nice to
be able to just check out the previous version of the config file and
figure out where the problem is.

I've since set it up e-mail me with a diff of all checked in changes to
/etc, too.  That way I can keep a close eye on exactly what changes are
made, where, and when.

  [1] Or due to a mistake.  I haven't had it happen to me, but I very
      clearly remember an occasion where a former co-worker called me
      over to his office, to ask if I knew of any way to dump an apache
      configuration from a running instance of apache.  I'm not entirely
      sure how he did it, but he managed to accidentally delete his
      httpd.conf!  After I told him that I didn't know if it was
      possible to do that with Apache, he asked me what I'd do in his
      situation. . . when I told him I'd simply check out the latest
      version of httpd.conf from the CVS repository I'd have it stored
      in, he threw a book at me. ;-)