[olug] Backup of Windows workstation(s) to Linux server...

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.net
Tue Sep 9 13:59:59 UTC 2003

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) wrote:
> I suggest you find a used tape backup, like from the one of
> the vendors at the upcoming computer fair, Electronic
> Recyclers, or one of the small PC stores in town. Hell, I
> might have an extra laying around for ya!

I'll have to stop in at the fair and see what I can find.  I was into
the searching on-line for new I forgot the local used/reconditioned
market...

> Have you also considered backing up to CD or DVD media?

I gave it a little thought, but not much more.  My initial idea was to
use Amanda (http://www.amanda.org/) to do the backup, and I'd just
rotate tapes each morning...  I didn't see where Amanda would use CD-RW
for the backup, plus I'd have to rotate 10+ CDs in to do the full backup
of the 6GB of data... :(

On the plus side, I am going the other route -- setting up Samba to
share a 10GB HDD and mounting it as the Z: drive on my wife's machine.
Then I will have XP kick off a nightly backup over the network.

This leads directly to my next question... :) Thanks Timothy!

There was some discussion lately about tweaking NFS parameters to
improve performance.  Does anyone have any tweaks they want to share in
a Samba/Windows environment?  Just FYI, my un-tweaked Samba server was
able to sustain 1.7MByte/sec over the full backup.  Not bad, but well
below the theoretical achievable 5+MByte/sec that the network should be
able to pump through...  (Yeah, I'm a speed freak when it comes to my
servers!)

Dan