[olug] ping stop

Kenton Brede xyf at nixnotes.org
Sun Sep 7 12:01:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:01:28AM -0500, nate wrote:

> thanks, ^c works for everything but a game i had up called nebulous..... I can
> load the game but nothing stops it but a reboot.  What to do about that ?
>
> thanks, for all the help guys this is really helping me

Check the man page of the game.
$ man nebulous

There should be a key combination to quit the game.  Often it is the
"q" key.  "esc" sometimes works to get you back to a start screen as
well.

A reboot shouldn't be necessary.  You should be able to use "top" as
mentioned.  Sometimes if it is a runaway process it takes a while for
"top" to load, in that event run -

$ killall program_name

If that doesn't do the trick -

$ ps ax
or
$ pidof program_name
to get the PID (process ID) of the program running and then -

$ kill PID
or
$ kill -9 PID
if it is stubborn.

You may need to be root in order to kill some processes.
Kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso