[olug] network and security

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Sat Sep 6 16:26:12 UTC 2003

You should set you firewall to block incoming ports. Which tool does
mandrake use for firewall setup?

First things to check, if you have not already.

(As root)

Do you have a valid IP address? Static or DHCP?

# ifconfig eth0

Are you setup to resolv named address's?

# cat /etc/resolv.conf

Is this machine on a network with other machines? Can you ping them?
i.e.
# ping 192.168.0.143

Is your default gateway set?

# netstat -r