[olug] RH Linux Enterprise version 3 now available

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Oct 30 17:06:39 UTC 2003

Craig Wolf wrote:

> My only problem with this is that I would be paying MORE than I do
> with a M$ OS, substantially more.  Mind you, I FULLY believe in Linux
> as the server solution that answers 95% of the problems we would have
> but I have a HARD time swallowing that cost!  Just a devil's advocate
> here but humor me...  8<)

Comparing RH AS 2.1 <-> Win2k/Win2k3 isn't an apples <-> apples
comparison.  Sure the OS costs more (and if you go with ES rather than
AS it costs either the same or A LOT less), but RH needs no per-seat
licening for things like SMB file servers -> even for 20 people the
Windows CALS can add up to quite a bit.

Oh, and try to get Win2k or Win2k3 server ($800 alone for only 5 CALS
from most sources) with 24/7 web AND telephone support AND enough CALS
to meet your licensing requirements and see how much you pay :)

Even at $2499 RH Enterprise Linux AS is quite a deal when compared to
Windows 2k/2k3 Server at comparable levels of support.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us