[olug] bittorrent under RH 9

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu Oct 30 14:27:53 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Patrick Olsen wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:06:26 +0000
> From: Patrick Olsen <rattatpat at hotmail.com>
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: [olug] bittorrent under RH 9
>
> just wondering if anyone has got bittorrent to run under RH 9 or knows how
> ive looked ont he net all over havent been able to find anything on how to
> do this.  would be great if i could get a hand.
>
> thanks

Patrick,

I've got it working under RH9.  Since my hard drive is flaking out at
home (and thereby shut off until the replacement arrives) I'll reference
my PC at work.

First requirement is Python, which should be installed as up2date uses it.

You'll wxWindows installed.  If you use GTK (Gnome), there are precompiled
rpms at http://www.freshrpms.net - or use yum to install them.
Look for wxGTK-2.4.1-fr1.i386.rpm

If you don't have yum - pick it up from Freshrpms.  You'll love it.

yum example:
yum install wxGTK

Create a folder /usr/local/bittorrent/bin

Untar the bittorrent files into /usr/local/bittorrent/bin

As root, edit the file /etc/mailcap

Add the following line:

application/x-bittorrent; /usr/local/bittorrent/bin/btdownloadgui.py %s;
test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

This should enable bittorrent for Mozilla - any user account.

Let me know how it works out,
Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at levania dot org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org