[olug] Domain name propagation - how long?

Thom id4spam at cox.net
Wed Oct 29 20:59:35 UTC 2003

I ran some tests:

# host thom.homelinux.com
Host thom.homelinux.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I then added an entry into dyndns.org and the result instantly came back.

# host thom.homelinux.com
thom.homelinux.com has address 68.13.170.107
#

I then modified it the IP Address to 68.13.170.108 at DynDNS.org and the
change was essentially instantaneous.

# host thom.homelinux.com
thom.homelinux.com has address 68.13.170.108

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search eotr.chi.wayport.net
nameserver 65.245.146.129
nameserver 216.12.255.2
#

I then changed /etc/resolv.conf to used the Cox Name Servers and
recycled the network:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 68.13.16.25
nameserver 68.13.16.30
nameserver 68.12.16.30
search

And once again the .108 IP Address came back.

Changing the IP Address back to .107 resolved immediately using Cox's
Name Servers too.

Where's the delay?