[olug] Domain name propagation - how long?

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Tue Oct 28 18:59:15 UTC 2003

I think they update the root server twice a day everyday. So a registered
domain could start working in no later than 12 hours I believe.  The
propagation does take some time after the root servers are updated, so it
could take 1 -2 days for it to completely propagate, it all depends on how
pepole have their DNS servers configured.  THe quickest I had a domain
actually work was in about 3 hours, but I got it registered just before the
root servers were schedule to do their updates.

Trent