[olug] new to Samba

thelarsons3 at cox.net thelarsons3 at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 15:56:32 UTC 2003

> I imagine your running the new samba 3.0, and though I don't have any

2.0.9.  I can almost hear the response now:  get the latest version!  :)

> experience with that incarnation of it, some things I remember from
> samba...
>
> - "smbclient -l <ipaddress | netbiosname>"  will enumerate the shares on
> the system though you may need to be a valid user, so pass valid
> credentials with the smbclient command or have your username the same on

That's fine, and my credentials are good.

> so its sounds like an 'access' level issue, so I would check the
> credentials you are passing over as your username/passwd to the other

Credentials are good, else I wouldn't be able to connect at all.

> system.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "smb prompt", so I imagine you

smb: \>

This is the prompt I get when using smbclient.

> are in gnu/linux trying to access the windows share.  what's the version
> of windows are you running?  look for hints in relevant /var/log/ files

Win2k Server.  Maybe samba 2.0.9 predates Win2k?  I remember reading about some changes in the SMB protocol so I suppose that's possible.

Nothing at all in /var/log/samba.

> and capture network traffic with ethereal and 'follow tcp stream' to see
> whats going on.  could you clarify a little more?

I've never used this tool before.

Thanks,
Tim

--