[olug] RE: How to MIME encode

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Tue Oct 28 14:47:17 UTC 2003

In perl

use MIME::Entity;

$messg=build MIME::Entity From => $from_address,
                           To   => $to_address,
                           Subject => $subject,
                           Data    => $body_text;
attach $messg Path => $attachment_filename,
               Type => $mime_type_of_attachment,
               Encoding => "base64";

open(MAIL, "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i") | die "Could not open sendmail:
$!\n";
$messg->print(\*MAIL);
close(MAIL);

You can call attach multiple times to attach more than one file.
You can also send via some other mechanism, say Net::SMTP, by replacing
the last 3 lines.