[olug] RE: How to MIME encode

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Tue Oct 28 08:27:17 UTC 2003

In this case, the originating box is a Linux box.  I don't know what the
destination box is.  The original script took a bunch of files, tarred
it up, uuencoded it, and mailed it to a recipient.  Using a client like
Outlook, I was able to save the attachment.  However, now I need to mail
it to another system that strips the attachments off and saves them.
>From a high level, the script looked like:

	tar | uuencode | mail

Now it needs to look like:

	tar | (mime encode) | mail

I just don't know what goes in the place of (mime encode) on the command
line.

I may take a look at the Perl solution Jay recommended since I have the
option of running Perl on the source machine.  I looked at that solution
and it seemed pretty elegant.

Bob