[olug] Eth0 to Eth1 Question

Jeff Burgbacher jeff.usa at verizon.net
Wed Oct 22 14:31:20 UTC 2003

Mr. Kauffman,

I think you where the original person to post the message on http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug/2002-October/000368.html, if not I apologize.  I found this posting regarding switching eth0 and eth1,  I pasted some of the posting below.  It seems you found a solution, I have a very similar problem and wondered if you could help me solve it.  I'm using a different Linux, Debian 2.421, but I don't think that matters.  I too had an onboard NIC go bad, so I hooked a USB Ethernet device to the machine, with the existing Ethernet still onboard.  It appears the device (USBEther) is recognized since I'm running hotplug (like plug-and-play), but I don't know how to reconfigure from the eth0 to eth1.  I tried editing the /etc/network/interfaces changing the line from eth0 to eth1, then running ifdown eth0; ifup eth1, but it still doesn't work.  I see you did some stuff in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ , but I'm not sure what this does, or what order I should do this stuff.  Would you be willing to guide tell me, step-by-step, in what to do?  I know it's asking a lot, but I have tried many IRC channels and sent tons of emails, spent several hours, all with no solution.

Please help,

Jeff Burgbacher
Alright!!! Thanks to Joe and everyone else! That last bit of advice did the trick!!!! Linux is WAY COOL! :-) Don Kauffman On Monday 07 October 2002 09:19 am, you wrote:> To logically switch the interfaces on a RH 7.x system:>> ifdown eth0> ifdown eth1> mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.tmp> mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0> mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.tmp> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1> ifup eth0> ifup eth1