[olug] LinuxWorld

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Oct 23 14:24:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
Scott Evans <munkey1979 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|Just wondering if anyone on the list was going to the
|LinuxWorld conferences and Expo in NYC Jan 20-23?
|
|And if anyone has ever been to one, is it worth the
|trip?

I went to the one in SF this summer, with the free exhibition pass... I
wouldn't travel across the country for it though (I was already in the
area).  It was pretty kewl though, got a stuffed penguin after signing up
for 'the linux fund' credit card and gecko from SuSE (they, IBM, RedHat,
Sun, others had -huge- booths) after listening to their talk (very
interesting- how SuSE gnu/linux can run -everywhere- in the IT
infrastructure, a common OS for -every- platform).  Got a tshirt and
student membership in the GNU/FSF, and got to see a lot of technology/apps
for gnu/linux ... secure p2p messaging apps (jabber based), sourcefire and
snort, racks/pc cases, ... lots o stuff.

If you're planning a vacation conviently during the same time that the
Linuxworld expo is giong on, go for it, but I wouldn't put too much
time/effort into it.  Be sure to pick up a free exhibit pass online like a
few weeks before the con starts.

peace

ps- anyone want a SuSE gecko? =)  maybe I'll give it out as a prize for an
ACM/OLUG meeting... it was a vicious fight to get one (limited geckos,
many more in audience) but now I really don't think I need it. =)

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru