[olug] What's In My Kernel

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Fri Oct 17 04:44:32 UTC 2003

So, because I wasn't able to find a .config file, I went ahead with "make
config" to begin compiling. Each CONFIG item has a default selection.
([Y/n]  for example, and obviously the capitol letter being the default.)
How is the default determined? Is that what the kernel developers think is
going to be best, or is that what's currently in my kernel?

Thanks,

At 10/16/2003 10:33 PM Thursday, you wrote:
>Nope. Not in there. I'm on RH 7.3.
>

>At 10/16/2003 10:19 PM Thursday, Kenton Brede wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:08:21PM -0500, Joe Catanzaro wrote:
> > I'm installing a wireless network card and the HowTo says I need the
> > following in my kernel. Is there an easy way to list what's in the kernel?
> > I haven't compiled the kernel on this box, so there's no .config that I
> > know of.
>
>Check in your /boot directory, depending on your distro there might be a
>"config" there.
>Kent

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net