[olug] IPTables acting funny with debian

Jordan Wilberding diginux at diginux.net
Sun Oct 12 22:12:00 UTC 2003

Hello,

I went to reboot my machine running debian, and upon reboot IPTables has been
acting really funny. When ever I run my firewall file that just blocks some
ports and sets up masquerading, it will work for a few minutes, then my
machine starts to bog down and kill the internet connection, so I can't get
out from my normal machine, or from a machine being maseurading through it.

Sometimes when I flush out the rules it will allow me to still be able to use
my debian machine on the internet itself, but sometimes I am forced to reboot
to get anything on the internet to work.

The only thing I can think of is before the reboot I installed vmware which
bridged to eth0, then I switched it to bridge to eth1, and that is when the
problems started to happen. I have since uinstalled vmware, but the problems
remain.

I even a did a apt-get dist-update, and that didn't solve anything.

Can anyone help or lead me to somehwere that might help?

Thanks!
Jordan Wilberding