[olug] i'm ba-a-a-ack

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Fri Oct 10 16:32:54 UTC 2003

Welcome back.....Your IP shouldnt change much,  the only time I ever had
mine change (since they have been cox.net) has been when my cable modem was
actually turned off for a week while I was on vacation.  When it went out to
renew the address it grabbed a new one.  Even thought they set the expire
time on the IP address for 24 hours, it goes out and tries to get the same
address, so unless your cable modem is off for an extended amount of time it
will renew with the same address.

When they were @home, even though your address was DHCP, they assigned you
an IP based on your hostname of your PC.  So you always got the same
address. But now since they have changed to cox.net, their validation used
is the MAC address of your cable modem now, and your address is truely
dynamic so the possibility of it changing is there.

Trent