[olug] Now what...

Steve Busby Steve at Busby.com
Sun Oct 5 23:55:41 UTC 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 06:45 pm, Tom wrote:
> That is the only error I saw and after it says mounting read only, it
> checks the FS saying there are errors and can't fix them because it is read
> only. Then it says run fsck manually after remounting the HDA3 but I get
> errors there saying the parameters are wrong and then can't fix FS because
> it can't write to drive.  After all that it asks me to log on and I do as
> root and can run some things and not others (depends if it has to write to
> HD or not).  So I think I will just wait for a reply to this and then
> reinstall from CD.  Now my other question is do I put Debian on or I have
> RH8 (Psyche 8.0) here too that I can put on.  Well will go eat and get back
> in here later.  Thanks for all the help.
>
> Tom

You should probably look at your /etc/fstab file and see why /dev/hda3 is
mounting read-only.

It should be something similar to the following:

dev/hda3		/mnt_point 	ext3 		defaults 	1 2

As for a choice on distributions, if that Debian is actually Knoppix, I'd go
with that, then run the hdx-install script to put it permanently on the
drive.

--
BuzB

Registered Linux User 216668 on
Registered Machine 189657 at
http://counter.li.org
Current System Stats:
Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686
 18:50:01 up 19 days, 22:03,  5 users,  load average: 1.15, 1.11, 1.12
Seti work units completed: 14072
Seti client running: 19-18:27:42
Percentage complete: 96.2827
Last result returned: (Sun Oct  5 20:41:34 2003)